VMZINC History

In Greece and Egypt, the use of zinc since Antiquity has been proven with the discovery of jewellery and funeral urns.
 

18th century: After developing an original production process, an imperial decree was granted to Jean-Jacques Dony to mine the zinc ore deposit at La Vieille Montagne, near Liège, in Belgium. The "Société des Mines et Fonderies de Zinc de la Vieille Montagne" was created in 1837.

1853: The "Compagnie Royale Asturienne des Mines" was founded.

1922: First electrolysis in Viviez.

1975: Continuous casting in Auby.

1978: "Vieille Montagne" develops and markets ANTHRA-ZINC, the first ever matt black pre-weathered zinc.

1980: Development of roofing and cladding systems and service offers.

1987: The "Compagnie Royale Asturienne des Mines" and "Vieille Montagne" merge to become "Vieille Montagne France".

1993: "Vieille Montagne France" joins the Union Minière group and creates the brand name VMZINC in 1994.

1993: Launch of a new light grey preweathered product: QUARTZ-ZINC.

2001: Union Minière group becomes Umicore group.

2005: Launch of the PIGMENTO range of colored preweathered products.

2014: Launch of the first engraved zinc in the world: AZENGAR

2017: VMZINC belongs now to the Belgian group Fedrus International.

  alt